The post-workout meal does not have to be complicated nor does it require expensive shakes or supplements as one might think. All meals take planning and prepping and the most important thing is to have your healthy foods ready to go pre and post-workout. Costly commercial recovery foods can be purchased but it is just as easy and more budget-friendly to have lean proteins, yogurt, quinoa, brown rice, whole grain wraps, power greens, nut butters, and fruit stocked in your kitchen for frequent meals and post recovery. Preparing our foods is also part of the fun of maintaining a healthy lifestyle and below is a sampling of meals that can be enjoyed after a great workout:
- Brown rice and boneless skinless chicken breast. Prepare with your favorite low-sodium spices or salsa for a fabulous recovery meal.
- Power Smoothie. Blend your favorite fruit with plain yogurt, almond milk, soy or favorite tolerated dairy, some water and ice. Power up the blend with a serving of nut butter added to the mix.
- Egg scrambles. Easy one-skillet meals where egg, egg whites, vegetables and sweet potatoes can be tossed with favorite spices and sprinkled with fresh black pepper.
- Pass the peanut butter. The all-American favorite sandwich on whole grain sprouted toast, less the sugared jam and enjoyed with a drizzle of local honey will not only satisfy the taste buds, but provide a nutrient dense post-workout meal
- Check the leftovers. What you cooked the night before is calling your name and ready to refuel that body.
- Wrap it up. Whole grain high fiber wraps are a great start to a wonderful recovery meal. Add some fresh avocado, lean meat of your choice, greens, beans or whatever suits the theme of the wrap, roll up and enjoy.